Thursday, October 11, 2007

Personal Technology Entering the School

I read "Two Steps Forward..." by Karl Fisch on the Fischbowl. It is about the high school allowing students to use their laptops or other personal technology. It tells that last year the school tried but their filter did not extend to the students technology. The school recently added the 8e6 filter. This filter extends to anyone in the school. The filter also took out YouTube and Google Video. Many teachers are outraged with this because they used these sites to teach their students with certain videos that they chose. Now they can only be used by the teachers. The upcoming Pangea Day video was part of the reason for the teacheeres anger for the block of YouTube.

I related to this blog because I own a laptop. It will be great to use it at school so I can do any projects that I have saved on my computer already. It will also allow me to work on homework whenever, even if the lab is full of other students in the library. Will allowing students to bring their own personal learning technology to school help the school in an all or hurt the school in an all? I believe it will help because it will allow students to work where ever and when ever they want. They don't have to wait for people to leave the schools computers. Is it worth taking away YouTube and Google Video to give students the ability to bring hteir own personal technology? I believe it is a good trade even though the Pangea Day sounds like a cool video; bringing my laptop to work on projects at school during an off hour is better.

No comments: